seventh-grade crush



my heart has this special beat
when my phone shows me your name
and your face makes my cheeks hurt
with the ghost of a laugh you put on them
i wonder what you’re up to now
homework/binging late night shows?
oh, i hope your eyes shine just as bright
as they did when you sneaked into the show
you had dressed up with your middle school mates
like those slick dudes just to steal the food
honestly, i thought ‘twas a lie
but i woulda kissed you for trying to make me smile
and i kissed you in my dreams that magical night
i just wish your eyes weren’t shut so tight…

when i had on your favourite hairstyle
you didn’t spare me a second smile
you told my bestie about a girl who’s nice:
she likes girls but she’s the one you liked
so i ignored the tears welling in my eyes
well, it had to happen, you’re an older guy
and her name had the word “Love” in it, so yeah
and i cried to sleep that horrible night
i just wish your eyes weren’t shut so tight 

i fell for you with the wings that you gave me
because your name means liberation
you’re a libra, i heard they suit me well
oh, we’d have dozens of stories to tell
and i still remember your birthday
it’s okay that you forgot mine
'cause knowing’s useless anyways
as we’ll never go back to those summer days….
remember when we spent all our money buying sundaes?
remember how you said we were the only ones sane?
remember that time i called you out for being sexist?
remember how you were casually glad that i exist?
oh, i would have kissed you then
and again and again and again and again
but not anymore

because that was just a seventh grade crush
you still have your handsome face from back then
but you don’t have me to ogle your tight ass
you don’t have me to check out your polo t-shirt
that you spent hours to pick, in hopes she’d notice
but she only ever had eyes for girls and i had eyes for you
your suggestive smile, sensual lips, mischievous eyes…
i hope you find someone who can like them like i do
i thought we had a spark but it went out and that’s ok
because it was just a seventh grade crush
i always thought we’d tell our stories together
but here i am alone, idek if you remember me, but that’s ok
we’ll probably have cooler stories to tell
with cooler people who take our hands and tell 'em with us :)
and this poem will become an ice cream cone i held onto for too long.

but thank you for being the sundae i ate too fast
my palate burned and so did my eyes
but you were a shooting star in my mouth
i still feel the chills when i imagine your gaze as
you explained MCU to me in the afternoons in the bus
i never quite got it 'cause i was discerning
the different shades of brown in your eyes (sorry)
thank you for turning me into a believer
of the messages that said your seventh-grade crush came true
if you forwarded said message twenty times
'cause God knows i’ll never do that again
'cause i’ll never have a seventh-grade crush again

thank you for being my seventh-grade crush. :D 

  

Photo by Bianca from Pexels

Comments

  1. Hi Ki!

    This is wonderfully written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot to mention, this is Pul (from Wattpad). How are you doing hun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pul! I can't believe you're here! Thank you so much for reading and liking it!! <33
      And I've been great, how are you? :)

      Delete
    2. Of course <3
      I'm good, thank you. How's everything going?

      Delete
    3. Everything's great here! My online classes for 10th have begun already, and they're superb! How's everything at your end? (sorry i had posted this separately instead of replying to your post haha)

      Delete
  3. Brilliant poetry Ki...Very sweet....no words for describing....it was epic.
    You know, you have always been an inspiration for me to start writing free verses but....i was never able to make one 😂😂🤣🤣 Anyways the poetry was FANTASTIC!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you Raashi!! You're so sweet. Thanks for always supporting me.
      I think you should try to integrate some poetic devices into your poem to tie together your verses beautifully. Anyways doing anything well comes with practice. You can read some free verse poems and try to make something like that. Go post your creations on your blog, I (and your other readers) am always there to help you with feedback and advice.
      Again, thank you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!

This could be your next favourite post!

Sunset

My Class

❝The Shadows Are Her Spotlight❞